LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / General Ford Discussion / 1940 Hard Starting Flathead

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 1940 Hard Starting Flathead -- page: 1 2

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

Aloha 40
04-02-2010 @ 1:00 PM

We got our '40 Ford on the road, and its a joy to ride in and drive. We think it runs a little bit on the warm side with a radiator as stock as we could come up with. (Re-cored at a reputable local radiator shop). The engine starts real fine when cold, but after we drive it and warm it up we can shut it off and it’s difficult to start up. We think it floods itself after we shut it off. We also know it's running really rich. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, thanks for all the help you guys have given us in the past.

Thanks,

Allen S.

37RAGTOPMAN
04-02-2010 @ 3:39 PM
Senior

usullly the coil is at fault , if you Have a orginal on the car,
I had the same problem. I put a ice pack on the coil for a few minutes and it started up,
its worth a shot, a weak coil will also foul the spark plugs,
if it starts up when cold and hard when hot,
send the coil to SKIP HANEY is my suggestion,
this is where I sent mine,
my 3cents worth,37RAGTOPMAN

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 4-2-10 @ 3:40 PM

deluxe40
04-02-2010 @ 7:58 PM

Check the spark when you are having difficulty starting it warm. If you have a nice blue 3/8" arc between a plug wire and a head bolt, then suspect the carburetor. Could be the power (economizer) valve leaking, a bad float needle/seat or float setting too high. Do you have an electric fuel pump? If so, you need a pressure regulator.

By the way, glad to hear your '40 is on the road. I followed your early work (when the body was off the frame) and you are making great progress!

ford38v8
04-02-2010 @ 8:27 PM
Senior

Allen, congrats on getting it on the road! You'll have to post some more pictures for us now. I agree with both the previous posts, those being the two most obvious causes of the problem.

As there is no mixture adjustment on the carburetor, the excess gas can be from the float level set incorrectly, too much fuel pressure (3lb max), gasket failure, economizer valve failure, or missing accelerator pump check valve.

After shut down, heat soak can boil out the gas, flooding the engine. If this is the case, cranking with the foot feed to the floor will clear the engine of excess fuel to allow starting.

Old coils break down with heat, suppling a weaker spark as they get hotter. A rebuilt is the answer.

Alan

TomO
04-03-2010 @ 8:26 AM
Senior

Alan, your problem sounds like a leaking gasket for the power valve. You said you are running rich ,is why I say this. Buy a carb kit from Speedway motors or Vintage speed. Use the gasket that that fits the seat for the power valve best and tighten the valve to 15 ft lbs.

Now that you have it finished, we would like to see some new photos.

Tom

Aloha 40
04-03-2010 @ 1:59 PM

Thank you everyone for answering back as fast as you did. My dad talked with Skip about the coil issue and we should be gettiing a new coil from him next week. This weekend, we will also be getting into the troubleshooting mode, following your guidance.

Here is a youtube video link of the car driving for the first time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dubbN2OGUQU. We had a deadline to have it on the road because the Ford was actually for a school project. We found the doors and trunk lid locally and threw them on. The seat (in video) was a computer desk chair with wheels on the bottom. But for the presentation, I had a real seat and back fenders. So it isn't the prettiest of cars, but it sure catches a lot of attention for being a 1940 Ford. Also, I'll send more pictures soon.

Thanks again,

Allen S.

TomO
04-04-2010 @ 10:02 AM
Senior

Great job on getting it on the road. Now if you can teach your camera man? I really enjoyed seeing you drive it around.

Tom

39 Ken
04-04-2010 @ 12:54 PM

Aloha 40, What aerodrome are you using for your test runs?? Ken

Aloha 40
04-05-2010 @ 1:12 AM

We have a mechanical fuel pump, which we will be getting a pressure regulator for, sometime in the near future. We also tried icing the coil, but it didn't seem to have an effect.

We also found another 91-99 carb that's better than the 91-99 carb that we have. But it will still need a rebuild kit, so we should also be looking at getting that in the near future.

We were running the car on Ford Island at Pearl Harbor. On a later part of the video, I buzzed the tower. As for the camera man, that would be my dad. I think he did a fine job running the camera, there was a lot of excitement.

Allen S.

Aloha 40
04-05-2010 @ 8:11 PM

Hi again. Would anyone know a place that has exact fuel pump replacement springs and repair kit? It seems our springs have way too much tension. Also, how do you measure the carb float level? And when I reread the last post, I sounded a little aggressive, I am sorry. But let's just say my dad knows way more about cars than a camera.

Thanks,

Allen

<< previous || next >> 
PAGE: 1 2

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org