LOGIN
  • Post to the EFV-8 Forum
  • Post Classified Ads
  • Shop the Online Store
User Login

Not Registered Yet? Click Here to Sign Up!

(Forgot your Password?)
Remember me on this computer

Not registered yet?
REGISTER NOW!

Back to Home Page Show Forum Rules

Early Ford V-8 Club Forum

FORUM RULES: Users agree to these Rules when using Forum.

The site administrator reserves the right to change the terms and conditions of the user agreement without prior notice to the user. It is the responsibility of the user to regularly review the terms of this agreement.

The user agrees to the following terms:

1. All information that you provide to us for your membership is correct.
  2. You will not use your membership to spam, harrass, or exploit other members in any way.
  3. Vulgar, Abusive, Racist and Sexist Language will not be tolerated.
  4. Commercial-type sales postings will not be allowed.
  5. No mass posting or flooding of the boards is allowed.
  6. No Advertising of parts or cars; no Ebay or business/commercial ads (please use the "Classified" for ads Wanted or For Sale).
  7. VIEWING MULTIPLE TOPICS ON SCREEN: You can choose to see more than 10 Topics at a time ... Log In and choose "Preferences" from the top bar on the Forum page. Scroll down and Change the "Default Topics Returned" parameter to 25 or 50, and save the changes. Since this setting is stored in your browser 'cookies' (if enabled), it seems to use that stored value even if you are not logged in. So, if you use a PC that you haven't logged into the forum from, the setting still seem to remain at the default.
  8. EXTERNAL PHOTO LINKS ON FORUM: You can still use external photo links in your posts on the new forum. They follow the rules of any link in that they have to have the URL link qualified down to the full image file name (example: .jpg). The links will open in a new browser window, the same as an uploaded image attached to a post. Since an image attachment to any post does not display inline with the post, the results are the same. You can use multiple external links within a post. This link is from photos on a site from Don Clink's 'Deuce@75' albums:

http://donclink.com/deuce_75_1/images/dscn2950.jpg

Using links from photo sites such as Photobucket can help in "size" issue with uploaded attachment files. For best viewing in web browsers, photos should be around the 800x600 pixel range, and probably not more than 1024x768. Most cameras today store HUGE jpg image files, as the default settings are in the 7, 8, 10, and 12Mb image sizes. The image files that are then attached are very large, and the browser can't display the full image size without using the scroll bars. Use the re-sizing functions of your photo editing software to reduce the image to 800x600, which reduces the file sixe and the image load time in the browser. Don uses Google's free Picassa3 software, which is an excellent photo management product. All of the photo albums of the Deuce, Grand National, and Auburn that are links on the NORG site were built using Picassa's web creation functions. And it's free? (THANKS to Don Clink for the info!)
  9. HOW DO I SHOW MY EMAIL ADDRESS ALONG WITH MY USERNAME? You can LogIn on the Forum, and select PREFERENCES. On this page Members can add optional information such as their City,State, Country; Occupation; Hobbies: list a Homepage; list AOL Instant Messanger Handle; Signature; "Make Email Address viewable to others;" and even change the number of Default Topics shown on a page. WHEN others click on your profile, they will see this information.

EFV-8 Club Forum / Light Commercial Truck Discussion / 51 ford 8BA engine rear seal

Reply to this DiscussionReply to Discussion | Start new discussionNew Discussion << previous || next >> 
Posted By Discussion Topic: 51 ford 8BA engine rear seal

Printer-friendly Version  send this discussion to a friend  new posts last

PeterFord
07-05-2011 @ 3:21 PM

I have ordered a new rear seal for my engine. It is the "packing" type. Can that seal be installed by just removing the oil pan?

Many thanks. Peter

supereal
07-06-2011 @ 11:02 AM
Senior

The top half of the rear packing is held in place by a retainer, and the flywheel has to be removed to replace it. I've never done it with the engine in place, so perhaps someone else has. We do it as we reassemble the engine on the stand. You remove the retainer and the old seal, then install the new packing. Clean the retainer slot in the block, and apply a coating of sealer, such as Perematex #2. When in place, be sure the retainer and the oil seal are flush with the block. Seat the lower half of the packing in the pan, and apply a dab of sealer on the ends. If the packing is correct, no trimming should be necessary. You don't have to soak the rear packing in oil before installation, but if you plan to do the front seals, be sure to soak the halves in oil overnight. There is a dust seal on the lower half of the flywheel cover that you may wish to replace, too. Removing the flywheel means taking out the transmission, the clutch, etc, so you may elect to only replace the bottom half, if the leak isn't large. I'd replace both halves of the front seal, as it can be done by removing the timing gear cover. Just be sure to observe the position of the distributor so it can be replaced correcly. Before you reinstall the pan, check the mounting holes and hammer flat any that are distorted. This is a cause of oil leakage around the pan from overtighening the mounting bolts. They should be tightened in sequence from the center to the ends at 15 to 18 foot pounds only.

51f1
07-06-2011 @ 3:02 PM
Senior

I recommend removing the crankshaft to replace the rear seal. I'm sure someone in the Flathead days devised a method to replace it without removing the crankshaft. They used a Chinese handcuff type thingy to pull the seal through. I don't know where one would get the tool today.

I've seen information that the seal should not be shortened but that it should be left to protrude past the block-pan mating surfaces. The factory manual does not address this. Anybody have any information on this? That's the way I installed my front and rear seals on my 8RT. The front doesn't leak and the rear doesn't leak much. The factory manual calls for soaking the rear seal in oil for 2-hours.

Why wasn't a neoprene seal developed to replace the rope seal? Even my '49 Crosley, the sorriest American car ever built, had a replacement neoprene seal. It had to be cut to install it around the crankshaft.

Richard

This message was edited by 51f1 on 7-7-11 @ 12:03 PM

shogun1940
07-06-2011 @ 7:18 PM

we used to replace rope seals with a chinese finger tool from lyle tools, the secret was to lube the seal and to turn the crank while pulling the seal through. leaving an 1/8 of an inch on either end. I never did a flathead this way i will have to go out and take one apart to see.

supereal
07-07-2011 @ 12:51 PM
Senior

There also used to a tool sold to replace main bearings without pulling the crank. It fit in the oil hole if you had the bearing cap off, and pushed the insert out as the crankshaft turned. If they worked at all, they usually damaged the insert, anyway. The reason the rope seals are not trimmed is so they are forced into the groove completely, then they swell a bit to add tension. We always put a dab of sealer on the ends "just in case". Some repro seals are sold too long, so buy them from a reputable vendor. There are Teflon rope seals on the market, but as far as I know, they are not better than the usual kind. If the rear seal is badly leaking, I'd pull the engine and do the job right, and consider replacing the pot metal retainers, as well. All rope seals leak a bit, in any case.

<< previous || next >> 

NOTE: YOU MUST BE A REGISTERED USER AND BE LOGGED IN TO POST (and reply to) messages in this forum. If you are a first time user, please click the CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT in the masthead above to register and Log In. After that, all you do is LOG IN to enjoy using this site.

DISCLAIMER: The V-8 Club does no independent testing of any of the opinions, thoughts or suggestions presented in the website on the Forum, in the Tech Tips section, or any section. A reader should consider the website to be a forum wherein differing solutions to a particular set of circumstances may be discussed. Ultimately, the selection of an item for an individual's vehicle must be based upon the independent study of the vehicle owner in consultation with people in the hobby and restoration experts.

EFV-8 Club Forum Home | Back to Home Page | Contact the Webmaster

Copyright © 2009 - EFV-8.org