Topic: 1941 Ford Business coupe frame

montesrule    -- 12-11-2011 @ 11:27 AM
  I am looking for a frame for one of my 41 Business coupes. The one in it was hacked with a Chevy stub and I would like an original frame. The problem is I have been told that 41 - 48 used the same frame in all models. I have also been told 41 was by itself. Can some one tell me if they are the same or different? I have found several frames for 42-48 but don't want to spend the money if it's different.

Scott

ford1941    -- 12-11-2011 @ 12:26 PM
  The 1941 frame was, in fact, unique and different from the 46-48 frames and I believe the 42s as well. The most visible difference in the frames can be seen where the "X" cross members meet in the middle of the frame. The 41 intersection is relatively smooth and the 42-48 intersection is ribbed (see 47 frame picture attached). As far as I know you should be able to use a 41 frame from any sedan or coupe and likely a woodie with no problems. A 41 convertible frame could be used, but would require minor modifications, involving moving some riveted brackets. Hope this helps. Scott

42wagon    -- 12-11-2011 @ 2:30 PM
  Scott
Based on the information in the 41-48 Ford book the 41 frame is indeed unique. In 41 a new frame was introduced.It was further modified for the 42 model year and was retained in production for 46-48.
Ted

ford38v8    -- 12-11-2011 @ 3:00 PM
  Scott, be advised that any frame transplant you perform should also include the title for that frame. Serial numbers are located in three places on these frames, and are the accepted means of identification for DMV purposes. Try selling your car at a future date without the correct frame title and you'll learn more on the subject.

Alan

montesrule    -- 12-13-2011 @ 2:56 PM
  Is the cross section brace the only difference? If so I could remove the brace from my frame and install it on the other frame. The main body appears to be the same other than tail lights. hanks for your time.

Scott

TomO    -- 12-14-2011 @ 7:16 AM
  Scott, you may be opening a can of worms if you use a later frame on your 41 Coupe. The body year will not match the serial number on the frame. When you go to sell the car,you may have problems convincing the owner that he can title to car.

Tom

trjford8    -- 12-14-2011 @ 8:18 AM
  The frame dimensions are the same from 41-48. There are minor differences, but your body , etc will fit the later frame if you are not concerned about being 100% correct. The frame number issue on the later frame will need to be addressed with your local DMV. The number will need to be changed on your title. It can be done with a little patience and $.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=4097