Topic: Clutch release fork pin

Johns46coupe    -- 08-25-2010 @ 5:27 PM
  I'm trying to free up the clutch fork on my clutch release shaft so I can replace the release shaft bushings in the transmission case. I can't get the pin out of the fork due to the position it's in. There is a head or groove on the end I can get to but I think I should be driving it out from the end I can't get to. Is there a trick to getting it out?

John

kubes40    -- 08-25-2010 @ 5:34 PM
  Grind off the head of the side you can get to.
Center punch the stud you have remaining and then center drill the end. After that drill through with a small diameter twist drill, perhaps 1/8" diameter. Doing the above will allow you to now take a hammer and cold steel driver and punch out the stud.
The stud that was originally pressed in there is 1/4" diameter. Thus, use a 3/16" driver. Drilling the hole through it beforehand allows the stud to 'relax' a bit and makes it much easier to drive out.

supereal    -- 08-25-2010 @ 6:55 PM
  If the bushings are worn, it is likely that the shaft is, too. We always replaced it when new bushings are put in. If you don't have grease fitting that service the bushings, it is a good time to add them. Ken has given you the pin removal procedure.

TomO    -- 08-26-2010 @ 7:58 AM
  As Supereal said, your shaft is probably worn if the bushings are worn. It is a good idea to replace the shaft with the bushings as the worn shaft will wear the bushing faster and you will not have much improvement in play.

Before you remove the shaft, check for availability of a replacement shaft and pin. They were hard to get a couple of years ago.

Tom

Johns46coupe    -- 08-26-2010 @ 3:27 PM
  Thanks Ken, Super and Tom. Got the pin out per Ken's process and pulled the release shaft. It is worn as you guys warned it might be. Ordered shaft and pin from Little Dearborn. Trans already has grease fittings. Tried pulling the pilot bearing using the "fill the hole full of grease" method which resulted in blowing out the seal on the bearing. Now the grease just squirts out between the balls. Have to get a puller I suspect. Many thanks guys!

John

supereal    -- 08-28-2010 @ 5:16 AM
  John: Borrow or rent a "slide hammer" puller. The "grease in the hole" trick mostly works with the solid bronze pilot bushings.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=1765